Must-Have Items For Your Coffee Bar
Though it’s fun to think about the decor you’ll choose and the music you’ll play, there’s a whole lot more that goes into making sure your coffee shop is a success. While it’s true that we’re living in the ‘Instagrammable’ age, and things like your coffee shop's aesthetics are important, if your equipment isn’t up to scratch, then neither is your coffee. These gadgets will be the backbone of your business, and if you want customers to keep coming back, you’re going to need to invest in the right ones.
The list of things you need for your coffee bar can feel endless, but we’re here to cover some of the top items you can’t live without, as well as a list of everyday essentials too. So, pull up a chair and make a note of these must-have coffee shop items to keep your coffee shop’s Google ratings high…
A Top-Quality Espresso Machine
What many will consider the holy grail of a café… You won’t get very far running a successful shop without a high-quality espresso maker. Chances are, most of the drinks on your menu will contain espresso - so to provide the best tasting espresso in town - you’ll want to invest in the right machine.
Quality espresso makers can cost a pretty penny, but if you find an option that fits your needs and makes your customers happy, it will be worth what you spend. From manual to semi-automatic to fully automatic, there are plenty to choose from. It can be overwhelming when choosing such a hefty investment piece so here’s a handful of our favourites to help narrow it down:
- La Marzocco GS3 - this model competes well with the best high-volume machines on the market and has a small footprint with its water reservoir or plumb-in options.
- La Marzocco KB90 2/3 Group AV – designed specifically to optimise the workflow of the busy barista by improving ergonomics and features, this machine truly makes the lives of baristas easier and more efficient.
- La Marzocco Strada EP 2/3 Group – designed for and by baristas, the Strada allows you to have absolute control of pressure at all points during the extraction for the first time.
- La Marzocco Linea Classic 2/3 Group – a La Marzocco classic the Linea’s heavy-duty workhorse performs reliably in the highest volume settings.
- La Marzocco Linea PB 2/3 Group – this machine is equipped with brilliant user-friendly interface software to give the barista complete control over boiler temperature, brewing volume, hot water tap dose, and more – you’ll get a whole new level of performance with this one.
- La Marzocco Strada AV 2/3 Group – the Strada AV combines the eye-catching design of the Strada but incorporates AV controls so you’re able to programme the volume of water to come out of the group head.
Clearly, we’re a fan of La Marzocco! We’ve been working with this brand for more than 10 years and are confident their gear will provide the reliability and style you need to take your coffee shop to the next level. Remember this: when it comes to your espresso machine, never settle for second best!
A High-Quality Grinder
Baristas who have been making amazing coffee for decades will tell you that a good grinder is one of the most important tools in your coffee-making toolkit. To build a reputation for serving amazing coffee you will, of course, want to grind your whole beans fresh, so it’s vital to find a precision grinder that can grind consistently without compromising flavours and aromas.
Whether you prefer a blade or burr grinder, it’s crucial to conduct the right amount of research before deciding which grinder is best for your business. The quality of the grind can make a big difference in the taste of the drinks customers are paying for.
Here are a handful of our favourite electric grinders.
- Victoria Arduino MDJ On-Demand Grinder – this model features a new system for arranging the motor inside the bodywork, helping to keep noise levels.
- Mahlkonig E8 Supreme – this model's active cooling management provides for high daily outputs and ensures a consistent taste profile – perfect for everyday use in the busiest of coffee shops.
- VA Mythos One with Clima Pro – the first on-demand grinding from Victoria Arduino with "Clima Pro" technology. The management of the milling chamber temperature ensures constant dose and therefore a better quality of espresso extraction.
- Baratza Sette 270Wi - The 270Wi has learnt from the 270W and goes further to make coffee grinding even more accurate. Using scale manufacturer Acaia technology the process is a lot quicker than the previous model.
Often an overlooked part of owning a coffee shop - but important nonetheless – is having the right cleaning products. Everyone wants a sparkling hygiene rating, of course, but you need to know that your cleaning products won’t harm your equipment. Invest in high-quality, highly-rated cleaning products, so you can keep your machines clean and your shop safe from germs.
We love the organically-certified Cafetto EVO range for cleaning espresso machines, grinders, and for descaling!
Your can find our top cleaning product picks here:
A Water-Filtration System
Hard water can damage your coffee machines and negatively impact the flavour of – both of which are enemy number 1 to your coffee shop’s success. To ensure your devices don’t fall victim to scaling, you’ll want to implement a water filtration system. Using soft water will reduce these damaging effects, allowing you to use your equipment safely for years to come. As 98% of coffee is water, use the best tasting water you can.
Click below for our favourite solutions for a water filtration system that will keep your machines protected, and your coffee tasting phenomenal!
An Automatic Drip Coffee Maker
Special brews might attract interest, but you’ll still have plenty of customers who come to your shop for a classic cup of coffee. In this case, you may need an automatic drip coffee maker on hand. Luckily, these machines are much more affordable than your commercial espresso machine – and are specifically designed for specialty coffee brewing.
You’ll want to find a coffee maker that can meet the needs of your shop, so pay attention to the number of drinks you’re serving and how much coffee you’ll need to make daily. The best coffee makers can produce high volumes of coffee in just five minutes. This way, you’ll keep on top of the demand and keep your customers happy in the process.
Here are some of our favourite coffee makers:
These essentials might be ones you can’t miss, but there are still a handful of other things you’ll want to add to your coffee shop shopping list! These are the items you’re going to be regularly using:
- Coffee Cups
- Milk Pitchers
- Cold Brew Systems
- Waste Bins
- Barista Accessories
- Towels & Brushes
- Brewing Accessories
- Filter Papers
- Gaskets, Screens, & Screws
- Coffee Tampers & Mats
So there you have it! Our must-have items for your coffee bar to make sure your business is functional as well as a desirable place to be for your community.
And when you order through your Trade Account you can get significant discounts on many of these products when you order multiple. Don't have a Trade Account? Apply for one here.
We’ll get you the equipment a successful coffee shop needs – all you’ll need to do is add coffee!
Looking for at home coffee gear, head over to www.coffeehit.co.uk